El Nido, Palawan: A series of /Un/Fortunate Events

by - 5:43:00 PM

Half way into 2015, my office mates stumbled upon PAL's pisofare for Puerto Princesa. Being the budget freaks we are, we decided, why not? So after arranging flights and booking rooms, we found ourselves in the land of Palawan.


Warning: Wall of text coming your way. Sorry if this was super detailed, I wanted it to be that way so people can know the details of the Tour Package from Jhanna's Inn.

Day 1: En route to El Nido
This was mostly travelling from Manila to El Nido.
We boarded the plane at around 1:10PM.
It was my first time riding an airplane so I was pretty excited.
Before the plane took off we met Elder Parker, a Mormon from Utah. We asked him about how Mormon life is and the differences between Catholics and them. He was very welcoming and BF really enjoyed his company too.
Our flight took off at about 2:30PM and that's when my stomach lurched. I was dizzy the whole flight. It's a good thing I had the will to fight my urge to puke. Relief washed over me once we landed at 3:30PM.
BF and I had to wait for the others 'cause our flight was different from them. At about 5:45PM, they arrived and so did the van we rented for our trip to El Nido. The travelling time was about 5 hours and the van driver guided us through Puerto Princesa whilst being on the road. He said that Puerto Princesa has been branded as the city within a forest. He also told us about his family background! Haha. He was very welcoming and it was refreshing as the 5 hour drive went by.
We had 2 stopovers during our road trip. One for eating dinner and one for CR break. At about 11PM, we finally arrived at Jhanna's Inn. We unpacked and rested after that.
We took OOTD pics while we were waiting for our friends.
Highlight of the day: 1st time flying! I'm such a noob. Hahaha.


Day 2: Tour A and the Calm Waters
Breakfast was served at 8AM and we were off for Tour A at 9AM.
I discovered that I had motion sickness once we were in the boat. Luckily, I didn't puke too! At this point I didn't check the time but we arrived in Small Lagoon.
Richard, our tour guide, said that the boat can't enter the Lagoon itself so we either had to swim to it or go kayaking. Of course, BF and I chose kayaking since we both aren't good swimmers. Haha!
It was really refreshing too see the clear water. I wanted to swim so badly but once I saw that there were jellyfishes floating around, my coward self turned back and kept kayaking. Haha!
After a few minutes, we went back to our boat but didn't get on board yet 'cause I knew that I'd just get dizzy. So I stayed in the water and floated for a while.
Once everyone was finally on the boat and the anchor was fetched, I got on board too. I figured it was the best way to avoid me being sick.
Our next stop was the Big Lagoon. As the name states, it was pretty big so the boat could just pass by it as we took pictures and videos of it. After that, we went to Shimizu Island where our tour guides prepared the free lunch! I gotta say that I miss eating those kinds of food.
After getting some rest from the non-stop eating we did, we went to our last stop, the Seven Commandos beach. First thing we did was to build sand castles, then BF volunteered to be buried in sand. We had a lot of fun sculpting his "beach body" Hahaha!
Of course we had to eat halo halo after being under the scorching heat all day. That pretty much sums up the tour.
For dinner, we ate at Artcafe. All I can say about it is that the food is very pricey and it's not even good.
Highlight of the day: Very calm water and the tour overall was very nice!


Day 3: "Did we say Tour C? Oops! We meant Tour D!" and the Killer Sea
This day is when a lot of unfortunate things started to happen. The tour guide informed us that we needed to share the boat with other people since there were very big waves. Background story: This part was a bit disappointing since the tour package we purchased consisted of having a private tour, meaning we should've one big boat to ourselves. But since it's too dangerous for that, we needed extra weight from other people. Ha.
Our first stop was Helicopter Island. Richard told us that we can try to snorkel. Nats, one of my coworkers, was pummeled onto the rocks by the waves so they decided that maybe it wasn't the best decision. Once we were off to our next destination, Cadlao Island, I puked! Haha! Actually it's not a haha moment, this tour was probaby the only one that made me want the day to end already. All the destinations were so far away from one another and the violent waters made my stomach tumble and lurch so violently.
We stayed afloat in the water for awhile as the tour guides prepared our lunch. While the others snorkel, I was doing my best not to puke again. Eating lunch was really hard for me since we had to do it on board the boat. After lunch, we were off again for Matinloc Island and Nat nat beach, which we actually just passed by. Richard said it was too dangerous to try and land there.
Our final stop was the Pasandigan Beach! You can imagine my joy once we landed and there were no dizzying waves anymore. Hahaha. After the tour was over, we indulged in the food of El Nido Corner. I must say that this is the most memorable restaurant/grill bar we stumbled upon in El Nido. The food was really great and it should be because I didn't quite enjoy much of the tour for the day.
Highlight of the day: Once the tour ended and I didn't have to deal with the waves anymore! Hahaha.


Day 4: Killer Sea Part Deux
Again, we needed to share the boat with other people as we needed the extra weight.
First stop was Snake Island, where we trekked to a hilltop to see the snake-like figure of the beach.
Then we passed by Pinasil Island and Cathedral Cave. Keep in mind that every time we pass by a destination, it's because the boat isn't safe to land and someone might get pummeled onto the rocks.
We went to Cadugnon point and cave next, where we explored the mini-cave as the tour guides prepared our lunch.
Tita pose!!
There was a swing on one of the trees and like a child I hurriedly went to it and played.
Pinagbuyutan Island was the last stop for this tour. We mostly played with the sand there and just took pictures.
Once we were on the main island again, BF and I decided that we wanted to try the homemade crepe we saw the day before. It was really good and affordable!
We ate dinner at sea slugs and like El Nido Corner, they had really good food!
Highlight of the day: The trek to the hilltop of Snake Island. Something about trekking makes me really happy.


Day 5: The never ending journey of my action camera to the deepest depths of the sea
Our last tour was of Nacpan Beach. Richard said that usually, they'd take a boat to get there and it would only take 30-45 mins. But again, the high tide and weather didn't really allow it. So we had a 2-hr drive to the destination. Once we were there, we immediately took on the challenge and pummeled ourselves to the waves. Richard said it was safe as long as we don't go too far. After a while, they called us to say that lunch was ready.
BF and I decided that we should walk the calories away! Haha. Then they called us again and told us that we were gonna trek the hill ahead. We had a hard time climbing up the hill since it was really steep. Fortunately the three guides kept assisting us as were afraid to climb alone sometimes! Haha.
After we got down from the hill, we decided that we would play with the waves again to let time pass. Then, the unthinkable happened, (Just recalling it still makes me so angry/sad and just so many emotions!) my action camera got lost. Once it got lost, we all started looking for it. We had hopes of finding it since we weren't that far away from the shore. But alas, the waves didn't want me to find it. For about an hour and 30 minutes, we kept looking. But I told them that it's okay and it was gone with the waves. The drive back home was a silent one as I was still too shocked with what happened.
We ate at one of the grill bars we always passed by in our night strolls. I forgot the name of it. The food was average. It was too pricey, in my opinion.
Selfies because my action camera got lost :(
Highlight of the day: Losing my camera?! HAHAHA. I guess it's a highlight since it's the most unforgettable thing that happened that day.


Day 6: Goodbye El Nido!
Since it was gonna be a long drive, we were already up at two in the morning. We are very much seguristas when it comes to flight schedules! Haha.
We arrived in Puerto Princesa at 8am. We went to the Underground River Tour and finished it at 11am. We drove to a market where we bought our pasalubongs and then we were off for the airport. Again our flight times were different from our friends so we had to wait for it. But once we were on the plane, I easily drowsed off and didn't even feel our landing! Hahaha. We had an Uber for our ride home and I just rested after that because I knew I was back to reality.

0 comments

Tell me about the voices in your head.