The Challenge

by - 5:28:00 PM

“What's the hardest thing in life?” His brows suddenly went furrowed.
“What do you mean?” He said as he took a bite from his sandwich.
“Well, you know.” I paused, clawing my mind for the right words. “The hardest battle a person has to go through.” I say, like a mantra. “Something like that.” I casually added.
He stared at me intently, trying to figure out why I asked such a mind boggling question at such random times. When he found no further intentions from me, he took a deep breath. “Losing someone.”
I nodded at him, holding my tongue from blabbering my own opinion. We stayed silent for a long time, and when we realized there was nothing else to do, we parted ways.
Once I was alone in my apartment, I started pondering about my own question.
A single word suddenly echoed in my mind – truth.
I suddenly remembered all the moments in my life when the truth knocked the wind out of me like a car rushing to a dead end and it left me crumbling to pieces.
I took a glass of water as I recalled the time I told myself to suck it up and push through all the problems because I know something good will come out of it because it always does. I fought hard and endured it with my greatest efforts. After a long time, I realized, sometimes, it never does get better.
 I snapped out of my reverie as I heard a crack. I was gripping the glass too hard. I immediately felt a  longing for my childhood again. It seemed such an immature and invalid emotion so I tried pushing it away. But it sat there, in the comfort of my chest.
As I tried calming myself down, another epiphany came crashing down. I could no longer think of myself as much as I did back then. My wants are no longer priorities, nor my needs are the top ones. I need to think of loved ones and their necessities and incorporate them with my own.
The truth was messing with my mind again, yet there's only one thing to do – accept it.
Accepting the truth is the hardest battle a person has to face everyday.
But perhaps one great truth needs to be said, we're never alone in this battle.

0 comments

Tell me about the voices in your head.